25 Quick Tips To Organise an Authentic Oktoberfest Party
Oktoberfest origins date back to 1810 when crown prince Ludwig got married and he celebrated it during five long days and nights. This royal event became the first Oktoberfest party ever and it paved the way to one of the most traditional celebrations in Germany and in the world. Nowadays, Oktoberfest takes place in Munich and it’s celebrated in all corners of the planet.
These days, people from different countries and traditions organise their own Oktoberfest parties, and they always try to host them as authentically as possible. Bavarian culture has become so popular that people from different races and traditions celebrate Oktoberfest like genuine Germans. At Scarlett Entertainment we’d love to make event organisers’ lives easier, which is why we bring you the ultimate Oktoberfest party guide that summarises all the points that must be checked when organising an authentic Oktoberfest party.
Choosing the right venue for your Oktoberfest party
1. First of all, ask yourself the following questions: how many guests am I expecting? What is my budget? Answering these first two points will help you choose the appropriate venue for your party. Bare in mind that venues' fees may vary from season to season.
2. Indoors or outdoors? Considering most Oktoberfest celebrations take place in Autumn, it would be wise to choose a venue thathasboth indoor and outdoor spaces, budget permitting. Choosing the right venue for your Oktoberfest party is easy. Any garden, backyard and large open-air space can be suitable for it. Most Oktoberfest celebrations take place in October when the weather is still mild. So now that you know what to take into consideration when choosing the venue for your party, the most important question of all. Which venue to choose? Our recommendation: A beer cellar, open-air in a field or under a marquee, in a barn...
3. Other important issue to address is the venue’s location. An authentic Oktoberfest party involves lots of beer, so considering guests will probably drink a few, it’s important to take into account if the venue is well-connected and if there’s public transport available nearby. Some of your guests may consider getting there by car, so it’s also worth checking if there is any extra charge for things such as parking. Some venues not only rent the space itself, but also sound equipment or decorative elements, and some of them may even offer catering. Make sure you check your finances and see if it’s worth booking all these on site or looking for external suppliers.
4. Don’t forget to check the space available for all the equipment and decorations and whether there is easy access into the venue to set up. Oktoberfest parties are not quiet celebrations, so don’t forget to check if the venue is subject to noise restrictions.
5. Last but not least, it’s crucial you keep in the back of your mind some unforeseen situations you may need to face. Make sure you have a bad weather contingency plan if it's an outdoor venue and double check the venue’s cancelation policy before signing on the dotted line.
Catering, decorations and costumes for Bavarian themed entertainment
6. A wide range of decorations are available for Oktoberfest events. In this regard, our main recommendation is the following: pick decorative elements with an appropriate choice of colours. Red, black and yellow (Germany’s flag colours) are sure to add authenticity and patriotism to any Bavarian party.
7. We’re talking about Bavarian themed entertainment, so don’t forget to ask your guests to respect the dress code for the occasion. Bavarian outfits are essential to create an authentic atmosphere.
8. In Oktoberfest, all revolves around beer, so if not the first, this is one of the most important things to consider when thinking about catering and beverages. Beer Tasting services can be a great activity for those who’d like to explore new and different tastes, and what a better occasion than Oktoberfest. Our Beer Academy can be perfect beer tasting experience for your party.
Credit Photo: Anandoart
9. Big large tables are a must at any Bavarian theme event. Large groups of friends usually attend this type of celebrations, and they’d love to sit together and enjoy the party as a group, so ensure you make it possible by renting large tables where they can all fit.
10. Flags are a great addition to Oktoberfest celebrations. Bare in mind this is the most famous German tradition of all and Germans feel especially proud of it, so it’s important to remind people where this party’s origins are by decorating your venue with some Germany flags. Providers such as our Bespoke Event Décor suppliers can assist you with this.
11. Delicious and crispy pretzels are snacks that everybody would expect to find at your Oktoberfest party.
12. What would an Oktoberfest partybe without German sausages? They’re a big part of the German cuisine and are especially demanded and consumed at Oktoberfest parties held all around the world. There are many varieties to choose from, so make sure German Sausage Vendors provide your event with delicious Bratwurst.
13. If you're hosting an outdoor party in a big open-air space, then beer tents are a must. Depending on the space available, you can rent different tent sizes. Our Mobile Bar in Berlin, for instance, can be customised especially for your Bavarian celebration and can be set up inside the tents
14. What's better than fireworks to let people know you’re celebrating something? Bring colour to this occasion with Private Party Event Fireworks providers, who can create custom fireworks especially for each event. Remember our recommendation about the appropriate choice in colours? Put it into practice!
15. A party without pictures can vanish in the fogs of memory. Ensure your Bavarian theme event is not only an occasion that gets people talking, but also a party that will be forever remembered. For that, photo services like our Customisable Event Photo Booth are the ideal solution.
Oktoberfest live entertainment
16. When it comes to Oktoberfest live entertainment, music is what everybody thinks of. Live musical ensembles such as this Bavarian Oompah Band is the type of live music entertainment that will make your event an authentic Oktoberfest party nobody will want to miss.
17. At the beginning of this article, we talked about this traditional German celebration's origins. Well, what about having King Ludwig and Sissi hosting your party? These actors will transport your guests to the 19th century and and make them feel like they're at THE authentic Oktoberfest party.
18. Dancing is also an essential part of any party. Considering booking dancing crews like these Bavarian Folk Dancers will guarantee your celebration becomes the seasonal event everybody talks about.
20. Parades can be a great way to get spectators to join in. Walkabout music shows like the one performed by our Bavarian Strolling Band offer the perfect opportunity to take a break from eating and drinking.
21. Talking about parades, Bavarian themed acts such as the one offered by these Oktoberfest Drummers can not only provide your celebration with an authentic German flavour, but make people follow them around singing and dancing. They capture the energetic brass sounds of Munich and make any German celebration an occasion to be remembered.
22. Live bands that offer something unique are guaranteed to make a difference. It’s the case of this Okroberfest Party Band, a musical ensemble consisting of seven musicians dressed in traditional Bavarian outfits, but that will not only perform Volkmusic but modern and international classics.
23. Leaving aside music and dancing, circus performances can also be a great addition to Oktoberfest celebrations. For example, this Customised Contortion Act can be adapted, so the versatile contortionist who executes it can dress up as a Bavarian girl. She can offer guests drinks with a big smile and in a bizarre, original and unique contortion posture.
24. Stilt walking acts are one of the most versatile forms of entertainment and a great way to make a party interactive. By booking circus performers such as our Themed Characters on Stilts, you will ensure guests turn their gaze up and make them smile and take lots of pictures.
25. To close these list of Bavarian themed entertainment, we have a unique and original suggestion. What a better Bavarian themed act than this Lederhosen Breakdance Show? A performance that combines tradition and a modern dance styles will definitely catch your guests’ attention and make your party a unique Oktoberfest experience.
The above Oktoberfest party guide is the ultimate checklist for event organisers. You can host the most authentic Oktoberfest party by following our recommendations. Keep in mind that the venue you choose, the decorations, catering and outfits will really make the difference. Last, but certainly not least, Oktoberfest live entertainment is guaranteed to put people in the party mood.
If you’d like us to suggest other Bavarian themed acts for your party, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our entertainment experts on 01626 572072 or by filling in our online enquiry form. They will be happy to assist you and answer all the questions you may have about all the different possibilities.